Thursday, May 22, 2008

Typo eradication: An impassible dream?

Readers of this blog may recall the Post of March 30, in which I lauded the pan-American typo-eradication expedition of Jeff Deck and Benjamin Herson. Beginning from Deck's home in Somerville, MA, the duo criss-crossed the country, hunting down and fixing typos in signs wherever they found them. Sadly, despite my heartfelt invitation to visit typo-rich Rhode Island, the Typo Eradication Advancement League (TEAL) road trip never made it here. Last Sunday, Deck posted to the TEAL blog from his Somerville dining room, having skipped little Rhody completely.

He's tired, I'm sure, and perhaps just a little bit cranky after the arduous three-month journey. In his final Post, Deck implored readers to go forth and multiply his efforts by finding and fixing sign errors on our own.

He says he doesn't want to see any more photos of typos unless we ourselves have fixed them per his guidelines. On June 15, he will pick a winner of the Best Typo Fix and put it on his blog. The winner will receive a free TEAL T-shirt.

I'm here for you, Jeff. I'll carry the torch. I'll do what I can to fix Rhode Island's typos, though the road (photo below in Charlestown, RI) seems "impassible," when it should be "impassable."

The typo road goes on forever . . .