Friday, March 28, 2008

My Blogger/My Self: YES Gallery in Warren

One of those things happened the other day that can only make me believe in cosmic karma. Walking along Water Street in Warren enroute to the Nat for dinner, I remarked to Retired Guy that I've always been fascinated by the little building you'll see pictured at right. Just at that moment, two young women were unlocking its front door. Upon engaging them in conversation about the building, we learned first: that one of them was Leigh Medeiros and that she plans to live upstairs and open the building's first floor as an art gallery. And second: that this is the same Leigh Medeiros who, from 2005 to 2007, wrote a Rhode Island blog for the Boston Globe's Explore New England online travel guide. (There's a link to it in the sidebar at left).

Now, as a new Rhode Island blogger myself, I have naturally bumped into some of Leigh's lively and engaging writings about the state in the course of Googling around. I'd noticed that her last post was in September, when she signed off with a brave hail-and-farewell message to her readers — and then dropped off the Internet altogether. I'd wondered who she was, where she lived, why she'd ceased blogging about Rhode Island. (It turns out that the Globe, in its cost-cutting wisdom, decided to use its own Boston staffers instead of paying a Rhode Island stringer to write about the distant outpost of Rhode Island.)

Well! once she knew what I was about, we greeted each other like the lone two members of the same club. Talk about a fateful meeting! If I'd tried to find her, I probably wouldn't have been able to. Anyway, Leigh's gallery venture is to be called Yes, it is in the little building at 146 Water St. in Warren that she explained had once been the studio of author/illustrator David Macaulay. There's to be a soft opening April 4, and an official one a week later, on the 11th. Everyone's invited to come. When I went back to take a picture, I couldn't help but notice the bumper sticker on her little green Honda:
"You May Say I'm a Dreamer, But I'm Not the Only One."
YES, indeed.